I eventually found out the method (hold ctrl while starting hugin) and then
found the place that is documented for re enabling fast preview window (it
brings up a dialog that lets you choose).  But I didn't find any
documentation of using that to avoid the crash on hugin statup that might
require it.

IIUC, some graphics chipsets don't have correct enough EGL support for that
fast preview window to work with newer (after 3.1.? I forget which exact
version of wxWidgets) and will cause hugin to crash during startup if you
are using that newer wxWidgets.

My own very old graphics chipset (one that needs the 340 version of the
closed source Nvidia driver) doesn't even allow building hugin from source
when using wxWidgets 3.1.5

I kludged past that build problem, which I think gets me to the place the
next version better (of still obsolete) Nvidia driver would be (but I can't
be certain).  Hugin then builds, but crashes on startup due to defective
EGL support in the driver.  That is unless you have set the right hidden
setting to disable creation of the problem window.  The easiest way to set
that hidden setting is to hold ctrl down while starting hugin.  (Simply
never opening that window isn't enough.  It crashes on creation during
hugin startup).

Maybe few other users are stuck (short of buying new hardware) with a
driver with broken EGL support.  Maybe some of those are able to stick with
wxWidgets 3.0 (I likely could have, except for testing a feature I added).

So maybe this was all just a problem for me.  But in case it isn't, I think
some description of the problem and solution (maybe more accurate than I
just gave) should be somewhere more obvious.