On Sunday, February 6, 2022 at 6:55:26 PM UTC-5 bruno...@gmail.com wrote:

> I thought this startup crash had been resolved by automatically
> disabling the Fast Preview window in this situation (it has been a
> long time since it was last reported). If the Ctrl trick is definitely
> still required, the FAQ is a wiki page and can be edited.
>
> I saw that code for automatically disabling the  Fast Preview window and
saw it didn't.  But I didn't fully debug why.

I'm not sure about any of this.

Best estimate, someone with my same hardware could not get far enough for
this ctrl thing to even help.  They could only use hugin linked with an
older wxWidgets.  But maybe I did something else wrong (could have
installed the driver differently or installed something more).  Maybe there
is even a way to get EGL to work, or maybe I did something wrong that makes
hugin fail to detect that EGL won't work.

About the next architecture up among obsolete Nvidia architectures, I'm
barely more than guessing.  I had lots of trouble getting other things to
work with this obsolete hardware (even more so before switching from Ubuntu
to Fedora) and googled all those problems and mostly found discussions of
the same problems but for the 390 driver rather than the 340.  So I build
up an estimate of what is worse in the 340 (including the reason I couldn't
build hugin normally with wxWidgets 3.1.5) vs. what is the same, which I
think includes why it crashes on construction of wxCanvas.

But all that might be my misinterpretation of those problem / solution
reports on related but non-hugin issues.  Maybe the whole reason I needed a
way to disable construction of that widget is because of the way I kludged
things to be able to use wxWidgets 3.1.5 instead of 3.0.  Then I looked in
the code to try to find a place to put a disable to make my code usable,
and I saw that disable was already in the code and I could use it without
further private code changes.

Alternately, maybe this problem WAS gone but driver updates changing the
partial level of EGL in those drivers broke the logic that disables that
widget without fixing the need to disable it, bringing the problem back.