I finally went back to that set of 3 photos and got a good result.  I'm not
happy with the methods required.  There is probably a better way.  I'm open
to advice on what to try next time.  There should be a better way, so in
any case I'll look through the relevant parts of the source code to see
what could be made to work better.

There are three basic issues here, two of which were solved with masks.
But editing those masks required fixing a flaw in the mask editing code
(see my recent new thread).

1) Exposure.  Each photo has the correct average exposure for its part of
the scene and I didn't want to change that much.  But the top photo had
shorter exposure than the middle which is shorter than the bottom.  So
sections from any one photo have good exposure unchanged.  But narrow seams
would highlight the exposure difference, while broad seams would be garbage
due to issue (2).  I still think the better general solution would be to
first apply an exposure vertical gradient to each photo (in a separate
program if necessary).  But I didn't find time to try that.  A mask worked
a lot better than I expected, to force narrow seams in places that don't
highlight the exposure jumps.

2) Alignment.  I never got good enough alignment for real blending of any
sections.  My solution to (3) made the misalignment 1.5 times as bad.  The
masks intended to fix (1) fixed (2) with no extra effort.

3) Distortion.  The resulting image was very distorted.  I tried most of
the projections and some were worse and none were significantly better than
the default.  After much experimentation, I started without the lens
a,b,c,d,e,g,t parameters, then rotated the anchor image -90 and reoptimized
(which didn't hurt alignment much), then cut the Hfov in half, and
reoptimized which destroyed alignment (I assume because the original Hfov
was correct) then added  a,b,c,d,e,g,t parameters to get back to decent
alignment (I'd really like to know what those are doing and how they
compensate for an intentionally wrong Hfov.  But I'm already investigating
in too many different subtopics at once).  Finally, I stitched with
Cylindrical and used an external program to rotate +90.

Given the distortion this had when simply done sideways with Cylindrical, I
expected that cutting the Hfov would do what it did.  But I have no clue
why it had that distortion.  It seems like there should be a less
distorting projection without needing to mess with the alignment.