On Monday, February 21, 2022 at 5:52:13 AM UTC-5 bruno...@gmail.com wrote:

> The XYZ Translation parameters are initially hidden as they are not needed
> for normal usage, they are made available by selecting Menu -> Interface ->
> Expert.
>
> That is one of the reasons I think only the "Expert" interface is usable.

I understand the concept that the alignment doesn't need to be great:  The
blending tools can cover up for poor alignment.  But I've never seen that
work for any of my panoramas.  I have sometimes used detailed masks to
cover up for poor alignment.  But otherwise, poor alignment gives a
terrible result.

I understand that correct use of a tripod with a nodal slide can give you a
collection of photos in which there is zero Translation.  But I haven't
managed that yet, even with careful adjustment of my nodal slide.  I also
understand that this issue is much less significant for panoramas in which
the subject is very far away from the camera (500 meters or more).  But I
think the more common case for ordinary photographers has enough
translation to require those in the optimization.

As for the lens, I noticed the slight barrel shape of the parallel vertical
lines in the original two photos of this thread.  I don't know whether to
consider that a lens characteristic different from the default
"rectilinear":  The part of such parallel lines that are perpendicular to
the point of view are wider apart in viewing angle, and the viewing angle
between the lines goes down with the distance from that perpendicular.  But
those two photos both had the camera pointing up relative to the face of
the building.  The perpendicular point is at the bottom of the lower
picture.  So the visible slight bulge in parallel vertical lines looks to
me like it is closer to the vertical center of the image, which would
definitely be a lens characteristic, as opposed to representing the actual
point of widest viewing angle between the lines (which I don't know whether
that would also be a lens characteristic different from "rectilinear").