There is a correct fov for each image (assuming it was taken with a camera,
rather than a scanner).
Giving it an incorrect low fov for each image can solve some problems.  But
it does create other problems, so I don't think you should leap to that
choice so quickly.
The fov of each image together with the way they connect gives you the
field of view of the entire panorama.  So I don't think anything useful
could be accomplished by setting the panorama fov low relative to the value
accumulated from stitching.

I haven't read this thread carefully enough to be sure, but I think you are
doing the optimize step without enabling translationX to be changed.  But
in taking the photographs, translationX is the primary change.

I think you should use expert mode and redo the optimization (from a reset
state) with just tx, ty and tx enabled (yaw, pitch and roll disabled).
Once that is approximately correct, optimize again from that stating point
also enabling yaw, pitch, roll and maybe other parameters.

Once you have good parameters, to get a more realistic fit of control
points, I'm not sure what to do with projection issues.  I expect you'll
still have projection issues.  But I think the path forward will be easier
once the tx values are reasonable.