On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 3:16:14 PM UTC-4 alexande...@gmail.com
wrote:

> So I shot the image sequences with the camera attached to a handcart in a
> rigidly fixed position so there should be hardly any plane pitch or yaw.
> And for optimising, my process was the following:
>
> - Optimize for TrX only, which produced an average unit distance under 1
> (can't remember exact figures off the top of my head)
> - Optimize for TrY and TrZ only, producing an average unit distance in the
> .4-5 range
> - Optimize for yaw, pitch and roll at which point the unit distance was
> around .2
>
> The resulting panorama looked great to my eyes but are these differences
> still to great?

There is no simple scale for what values are good enough from optimize.
But typically, values under 0.5 are good.
Did you look individually at a few of the worst fitting control points?
How bad were they?  Was it really a locally bad optimize result or were the
control points on non matching actual points?
When you find bad control points, it is usually worth the effort to fix or
delete them and then rerun the optimize (you don't need to reoptimize from
scratch.  Your current best fit is a good starting point).
If instead it is a locally bad fit, I next got to the final panorama and
zoom in near the locally bad fit and try to spot the seam.  If you can find
the seams by zooming in on the panorama, that is a defect that is likely
worth fixing.  Looking great when you look at a whole panorama is usually
not good enough (for me anyway).  It should look great even if you pan
around a zoomed image looking for seams.