dear ram punyani
thank you for introducing such a eare crsadar for democratic culture and human
values whom i missed know during his life time. v.v.

________________________________
 From: ram puniyani <ram.puniy...@gmail.com>
To: ram puniyani <ram.puniy...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 5 August 2013 7:27 AM
Subject: [humanrights-movement:6952] Sad Demise of Pradeep Deshpande: Writer,
Translator, Activist

Pradeep Deshpande

Passing away of a quiet crusader

Ram Puniyani

Pradeep Deshpande, the well known writer, translator and
activist passed away in a Mumbai hospital, after a prolonged illness on 4th
August
2013. I am hesitant to use the word prolonged illness, as though he was
suffering from Cancer from last one year, his spirits were never down, he was
doing his favorite work of writing most of the time, and barring few weeks
including the last week, he was mostly in a positive and cheerful
predisposition. In his death he has communicated to us a valuable lesson as to
how to deal with disease, even if it be cancer. His attitude towards the
disease was such that the suffering caused by the illness is not overstated and
one keeps up with one’s work and engagements with a positive attitude.

Pradeep approached my nearly a decade and a half ago, searching
my address through a friend. In response to the rising tide of the communal
politics, I wrote a tract, ‘Fascism of Sangh Parivar’. He came over to seek my
permission for translating the book. I was happy that an author is offering to
take the work to Marathi speaking world and it was a heartening thing for me.
But that was just the beginning. Following this he undertook upon himself to
take the work of translating, publishing and disseminating the books related to
communal harmony and national integration, with great amount of zeal and
enthusiasm. It is remarkable the way he lapped up new relevant work and
engrossed himself in translating it. This of course was in addition to his own
regular writings, columns in dailies like Mahanagar and lately Divya Marathi.
He was also writing lot of invited articles sought by other publications and
taking a keen interest to ensure that the publishers undertake this work and
then disseminate it far and wide. He was more focused on ensuring that the
message reaches the people as much as possible.

When he approached me I did not know him much except to realize
his deep commitment to progressive values. His commitment to the cause became
more obvious when he took voluntary retirement from his job, even before he
turned 50. His unique interpretation of Indian mythology and history was
something I admired and thought over it to shape my own understanding of this
complex area of our social commitment, i.e. fighting the communal forces. In an
uncompromising way he kept up his struggle through his mighty pen against the
forces trying to divide the nation in the name of religion. Our regular
discussions on these topics led us to take up the topics of communal
presentation of Shivaji, to counter which we brought out Sarvadharmsambhavi
Shivaji Maharaj. Seized with the issue of rising wave of terror, we brought
out Dahshatvad Mithke ani Vastav.

Pradeep was basically a literary person, poet, fiction writer
and commentator on social issues. His poems in Marathi and sometimes in Hindi
are very touching and are also a commentary on the social realities of our
times. His concern for gender issues was manifest all through with his close
association with women’s rights groups like Stree Mukti Sangthan and
his independent writing on the subject. His in-depth understanding of caste
oppression in the country is also manifest through his own book, Manusmriti
Ajun Jadte aahe, which has gone into several editions so far. His
understanding was very rational and he associated himself with the work of
promotion of rational thought, science education in particular through Lok
Vigyan Samiti. Through talks and exercises he communicated the basic
scientific concepts to students and young generation.

His columns on topical issues first in Mahanagar and then in
Divya Marathi got a very good response from the readers. Being multifaceted he
also helped publication of the writings on Islam by scholars like Abdul Kadar
Mukadam, in particular.

He also worked for many organizations in carrying out their work
of great importance to the society, particularly D.D. Kosambi Memorial Trust,
Ekta, Committee for Communal Amity and All India Secular forum. One will miss
this dynamic and steady, writer-activist, for times to come. His gentle and
mild nature endeared him to a large circle of friends. More than anything it is
a personal loss to me. Personally speaking I am yet to recover from the loss of
another of my close friend Asghar Ali Engineer, who we lost a couple of months
ago, and here comes another blow to me as a person. I just hope the inspiration
of both these friends’ life and work will be a guiding force for future.