On Oct 21, 2009, at 1:30 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

I named it ibverbs.h because it only works with infiniband/verbs.h
anyway. People will need the later to use it. That's why I like
ibverbs.h (or infiniband-verbs.h but it's very long). Apart from that, I
don't really care. At least the Infiniband name still exists, while
OpenIB/OFED/... is renamed almost every year :)

Hah!  It's actually InfiniBand(tm).  :-)

FWIW: the name has been OpenFabrics / OFED for a few years now. Not that I wholly disagree -- we're still stuck with the "openib" module name in Open MPI because we named it several years ago when it was called OpenIB -- but I think the "OpenFabrics" name is pretty stable. OpenIB was an informal name that existed before there was an official organization behind it. OpenFabrics is the legal entity that was created to support all things related to this technology, so I don't think that name will be changing any time soon. Indeed, there's a *lot* of money put into the marketing and branding with the name "OpenFabrics".

There hasn't [yet?] been discussion of renaming <infiniband/verbs.h> (or some of the other IB-centric struct/symbol names), but the whole package is very definitely marketed as "OpenFabrics verbs", not "InfiniBand verbs" (although the IB vendors certainly don't correct this misconception ;-) ).

So I still would like to rename this file before release.

By the way, this file actually only works for Linux so far. Unless we
are sure we could make it work for non-Linux OS one day (might need the
#ifdef LINUX to work in public headers), we could rename it to
hwloc/linux-...verbs.h

Sun is porting the OpenFabrics verbs to Solaris (to replace their DAPL stack). There is also talk of porting the verbs API to MS Windows, although I'm not tracking that effort at all. If all this comes to fruition, it'll be 3 different platforms that expose the same verbs API.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com