On Oct 21, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

Ok :) I think I'd vote for some like ofed-verbs.h then, it'd match the
existing glibc-sched.h and linux-libnuma.h

Heh. This is even more branding confusion that I think OpenFabrics as an organization has not done well to clarify...

OpenFabrics Enterprise Distribution (OFED) is a) currently Linux-only, and b) is a combined release mechanism / software package for several different upper-level protocols (verbs, UDAPL, MPI, etc.) largely employing RDMA-based technologies.

The "OFED" software is *not* the same thing as the verbs stack -- it *includes* the verbs stack. For example, various Linux distros include the verbs stack and some other RDMA-based packages (such as Open MPI) but do *not* include OFED itself. OFED is basically packaging and an installer/uninstaller for a whole bunch of OpenFabrics-sponsored/related software packages.

For example, if you use the verbs stack on a RHEL distribution, it's not OFED. It's the verbs that is packaged by RedHat. Same with SuSE. Same with Debian. Same with ...etc.

So I think the name would be better as of-verbs.h, or openfabrics- verbs.h, or ...

I thought verbs already existed on more than Linux actually. What I
meant is that *our* ibverbs.h code is Linux specific (it uses a sysfs
specific nice feature of OFED/Linux).

Ah -- I misunderstood.

If we want to keep this file
portable, we'll need to port hwloc_ibverbs_get_device_cpuset() to
non-Linux OS one day, which means we need a #ifdef LINUX in this public
header. However, IIRC our #define LINUX_SYS is internal only so far.

Fair enough -- I have no problems #if LINUX'ing it for this release. Mebbe someday if/when verbs is officially released on Solaris and Windows and if we get adventurous enough, we can test on those platforms and remove the #if LINUX protection. Cool?

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquy...@cisco.com