Software modules, eg on SuSE see the Modules RPM.  The way that a lot
of software installations used to be managed was to throw them all under
/usr in the standard directories.  This kept library paths and include
in default places but breaks down when you have multiple installations
of a product, conflicting names, want to keep installations on central
file servers, etc.  Modules let you install the package wherever is
convenient and then easy load the environment when you actually want the
package.

  For example:

module load intel-compilers-11
module load mpt/1.25
<compile and test>

module unload mpt/1.25 intel-compilers-11
module load intel-compilers-9
module load mpt/1.22
module load totalview
<compile and test>

  This easily lets me modify which versions of the various products I'm
using.  The `module load` command modifies my shell's LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
LD_PATH, PATH, MANPATH, MPIROOT, CPATH, etc variables.  For hwloc I could:

module load hwloc
lstopo

  This keeps hwloc out of /usr thus keeping the Linux File Hierarchy
Standard (LFHS) happy.