Hello World!

I have installed XFree86 4.0.3 with glibc 2.2.2. I am using hi_IN.UTF-8 locale which I 
created instead of using existing en_US.UTF-8 locale in X. This hi_IN.UTF-8 locale in 
X works fine with underlying hi_IN locale in C library. Now I can see Hindi text when 
I set
       export LANG=hi_IN.UTF-8

Now comes to my problem. I have created message files (.po files) for varius gtk 
applications where message strings are stored using UTF-8 encoding. From this .po 
files I generated a number of .mo files and put it in the LC_MESSAGES directory of 
current locale path. Now when gettext interface reads these messages, it again 
converts each byte of UTF-8 Hindi text into multibyte sequence. English text appearing 
in the message remains as it is since it occupies only one byte. For example, E0 A4 95 
is correct UTF-8 sequence for Unicode character U+0915. I am storing this byte 
sequence in a .po file and then generate .mo file using msgfmt utility. Hex dump of 
.mo file shows this sequence stored in the file. Now when I use gettext method, I get 
UTF-8 sequence for each of the bytes E0, A4, and 95,
i.e., C3 A0  C2 A4  C2 95
      =====  =====  =====
        E0     A4     95

As a result Hindi text is not displayed at all. Can someone tell me what may be the 
problem? Is this the problem with glibc? 

Thanks.

- Keyur.

PS : Please note that I am using proper fonts in fontset and I can see 'day of the 
week' and 'month names' in Hindi in various gtk applications. 

==========================================
Keyur Shroff

Staff Scientist,
National Centre for Software Technology,
Ministry of IT, Government of India,
Mumbai, India.
==========================================

Chequemail.com - a free web based e-mail service that also pays!!!
http://www.chequemail.com
_______________________________________________
I18n mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/i18n

Reply via email to