TK> +           command_to_exec --; /* This should be possible */

>> Why should this be possible?

TK> Because "command_to_exec" is set by

TK>          case 'e':
TK>             if (argc <= 1) Syntax (*argv);
TK>             command_to_exec = ++argv;
TK>             break;

I see.  Well, I'd rather we didn't rely on such an accident of nature.

TK> in main.c 1933.  Anyway, I will change this part to use malloc() and
TK> copy argv into the buffer, to cope with "luit -- command"

Good.

TK> It is a good idea.  I am now trying to implement it by modifying
TK> execvp() and exec_file() in spawn().  However, I have no idea what
TK> is exec_file() or what is AMOEBA system.

I think you should feel free to remove all the Amoeba support.
Thomas, have you heard from any Amoeba user in the last 10 years or so?

(Offtopic: an OpenBSD developer who likes to complain was recently
complaining to me about all the support code in XTerm for obsolete
architectures which makes XTerm difficult to maintain.  He was arguing
that we should rip out all the non-POSIX code, release this version,
and see whether anyone screams.  I couldn't help but agree.)

TK> It is, addition of a command option to directly specify encoding.

The nice thing with not having such a flag is that it forces people to
configure their locales correctly -- I'm fed up with bug reports from
people who set the locale to Latin-1, use Latin-2 fonts, then complain
that fontset-aware applications don't work.

Actually the functionality is already there, albeit buried within the
hundreds of ISO 2022-related flags.  Still, if you would find such an
option useful, feel free to add it -- I suggest the name ``-encoding'',
spelled in full

TK> Another improvement is to accept UTF-8 locales.

Yep.  I'm planning to do that when I implement generic support for
variable-width charsets (GB and stuff).

As you've probably noticed, luit is currently pretty much wedded to
single and double-byte encodings (see the buffered_ku business in
iso2022.c).  I need to rework quite a bit of this code in order to
encapsulate the buffering within the charset object (which will
therefore become stateful).

                                        Juliusz