Hi,

At Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:51:54 +0530 (IST),
Aravind Menon wrote:

> Hi,
>       I do not exactly wish to do the entire handling of Indic script. We have
> already modified a part of Xlib (the XDrawString and similar functions) to
> handle input in a different manner when it is ISCII encoded (ISCII is an
> 8-bit encoding for Indic scripts and is compatible with ascii). This
> modification is, at best, ad hoc.

I imagine your work is related to character -> glyph conversion.
Is that right?

>       We wanted to introduce UTF-8 support for Indic scripts by
> modifying lcUTF8.c and introducing appropriate converters in lcUniConv. These
> converters convert UTF-8 encoded text into ISCII. The ISCII text is then
> appropriately handled by the modified XDrawString.

>       I introduced a new locale 'DEVANAGARI', and wrote a UTF to ISCII
> converter for it. When XmbDrawString is called with UTF encoded DEVANAGARI text,
> the conversion is working fine, but the correct font is not getting loaded. In
> fact, XCreateFontSet returns DEVANAGARI as a missing charset inspite of the fact
> the required font is installed in the system.

What font name you use?  I imagine Devanagari will need more glyph
codepoints than character codepoints.  Since these X11 functions
assume the character encoding to be *glyph* index, I think some
radical redesign would be needed for X font mechanism to support
Devanagari.  It is because X's font mechanism including XFontStruct,
XFontSet, and Xft all assume that character and glyph correspond
one-to-one.

I once have seen Indic ISCII fonts which, in reality, have more glyphs
than ISCII codepoints.  We need to have some orthodox codepoint for
such expression forms.  And, I remember these fonts have '-*-iso8859-1'
names, which is a bad idea against the idea of FontSet.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/