Hi,

At Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:21:12 +0700,
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:

> This may look awkward for the definition of 0x08 to move back
> inconsistently. But the situation can still be defined more gracefully
> if we allow the cursor to stop at each combining character, and moving
> left through a combined cell means moving through the combining
> characters one by one to the base character before advancing to previous
> cell. This implementation has been adopted by some locally-patched
> terminal emulator, such as xiterm+thai (available in debian sid).

This idea is inconsistent with already existing softwares, where
cursor moves one column (half character) even when it moves across
doublewidth characters.  There are also existing softwares which
treats combining characters in this way (against your idea).

I think your idea can be implemented to be enabled only when some
option is specified.  However, in future, I think one internationalized
software should work well for all people in the world.  To achieve
this, terminal's behavior must be defined consistently.

At least, definition of 0x08 must not be modified.  In this case,
new control codes would be added for character-element-based
movement of your idea.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/