Hi,

At Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:53:02 +0700,
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:

> Another possibility is that bash or any other shells be modified so that
> they don't emit 0x08 in case of backspace upon combined cells.
> Hmm.. This may be more sound.

In *any* cases, bash (or any shells) don't emit 0x08 alone in case of
BACKSPACE key push.  For example, after normal (singlewidth) character,
0x08 0x20 0x08 is emitted.  Thus, you don't need to regard "deviation"
from "BACKSPACE key equal 0x08" as something bad.

To erase last combining character element, i.e., to implement your
favorite behavior, the shell must emit 0x08 <base character code>.
If the previous combined character consists of one base character and
multiple combining characters, combining character codes (without the
last combining character) must be emitted additionally.  The shell
must erase last one character from its internal buffer.  Of course
it may one byte (for example, TIS-620) or more (for example, UTF-8).

On the contrary, for BACKSPACE key to erase whole combined character,
the shell must emit 0x08 0x20 0x08 and erase whole combined character
from the internal buffer.

I think both behaviors can be possible technically.  I don't have
any opinion on which behavior should be implemented (or should be
default if both will be implemented).  I think it is a good idea
to consult people who wrote bash-2.05b i18n patch about Thai people's
expectation of BACKSPACE key behavior.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/