Hi,

> The XFree86 is 4.2.0 on a Linux/i386 machine ...
>
> The first question is the following : (as far as I know) a key may
> generate up to eight KeySyms ... the first four elements of the list are

You are deceived, there can be up to 256 keysyms for one key. :)
But...

> split into two groups of KeySyms and are accessible as : "Key" /
> Shift-"Key" / Mode_switch-"Key" / Shift-Mode_switch-"Key" ...
> How can I access KeySyms 5 to 8 ?
> (I can easily assign them using "xmodmap", but I have found no
> key-combination which would allow me to access them later ...)

Actually the server sends to an application a keycode (row number in the xmodmap
table) and a set of modifiers.  And the application itself should decide what
column should be chosen for such set of modifiers.  Most of applications use
the Xlib's function XLookupString that performes that choosing.  But according
to the core protocol specification it interprets only part of modifiers (Shift,
Mode_switch, CapsLock, NumLock) and can choose one column among first four ones.

But XFree86 has XKB (X Keyboard extension) that allows to use more columns.
Using XKB (it is switched on by default) you can design own rules ('key types'
in XKB terms) that take in account any subset of modifiers and define what
column match each combination of modifiers from that subset.  On the other hand
XKB tables have more complex structure.  All keysyms for one key are divided
to 'groups' (up to four) and 'levels' (up to 64) inside the groups.  Groups
and levels can be switched independly.  For more details see
http://pascal.tsu.ru/en/xkb/

> The second question is the following : the LANG and XLOCALEDIR decide
> which multiple character sequences are working ... they are defined in the
> appropriate "Compose" file ... and are accessible with help of the so
> called Multi_key ...
> How can I add/define my own "multiple character sequences" (merging and/or
> replacing the original ones) ?
> Note here that I do NOT want to modify the original "Compose" file ...

With your last condition there is no way (unless you make own locale dirs
tree and set XLOCALEDIR pointing to it).

But in the current XFree it is possible.  I wrote in this mail-list about
improvements made for Compose files and you can find that message in archives.
But you guess you need the latest beta version of XFree or wait 4.4.0 release.
--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University