From: i2rs [mailto:i2rs-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 5:45 AM
To: Dongjie (Jimmy)
Cc: i2rs@ietf.org; Susan Hares
Subject: Re: [i2rs] 2 week WG adoption call for
draft-dong-i2rs-l2-network-topology-01.txt

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 09:36:18AM +0000, Dongjie (Jimmy) wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> Thanks for your comments on this L2 topology model. Please see some
replies inline.

some IEEE liaison interaction here.

> > I also wonder to what extend this data model is repeating things
> > that are already in the interfaces abstraction we have. There is no
> > mention of RFC 7223 yet there is overlap.
>
> As a topology model, the L2 topology model is focusing on the overview of
connectivity between the network entities from layer-2's perspective, thus
the detailed config and operational information of interfaces will not be
covered in this model, only those which are used as the identifiers of nodes
and termination-points are included. We will take a look at whether the
interface model should be referenced here.

Are you saying you will take out all objects that are interface specific? I
think there should be text explaining the relationship to the
ietf-interfaces model and extensions of it.

> The chassis-id here has the same meaning as it is in LLDP. Currently its
type is set to mac-address as one common implementation. This could be
updated with a more generic type.

Well, it is simply under specified what it is. And there is the model of
physical entities where a chassis has a specific meaning. Anyway, there
needs to be more relationship sections explaining all this. But at this
point, many things are simply too vague to understand what they mean and it
is unclear where the information would come from.

/js