---- Original Message -----
From: "Mach Chen" <mach.c...@huawei.com>
To: "Alissa Cooper" <ali...@cooperw.in>; "The IESG" <i...@ietf.org>
Cc: <i2rs@ietf.org>; <draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-mo...@ietf.org>;
<i2rs-cha...@ietf.org>; <sha...@ndzh.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 9:23 AM

> Hi Alissa,
>
> Thanks for your comments!
>
> Please see my responses inline...

draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model-10:

https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
> > for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
> >

> > The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-rib-data-model/

> > COMMENT:

> > Sec 1.2:
> >
> > "YANG tree diagrams provide a concise representation of a YANG
module,
> >    and SHOULD be included to help readers understand YANG module
> >    structure."
> >
> > This document does not seem like an appropriate place to have
normative
> > guidance about this. And if this sentence is removed, I don't see
the point of
> > including Section 1.2 otherwise. This would also imply deleting the
reference to
> > I-D.ietf-netmod-yang-tree-diagrams.
>
> This results from a YANG doctor review.  I saw it also occurs in other
published documents. I personally think it's no harm to keep it, how do
you think?

Mach

I think that this is very odd.

YANG guidelines rfc6087bis says
"   YANG tree diagrams provide a concise representation of a YANG
module,
   and SHOULD be included to help readers understand YANG module
   structure.  Guidelines on tree diagrams can be found in Section 3 of
   [I-D.ietf-netmod-yang-tree-diagrams].
"
which I think is the correct guidance in the correct place.

A quick look at the recently published RFC8343, RFC8344, RFC8345,
RFC8346 contain no text of the kind you suggest so if it occurs in other
I-D, then I would regard those other I-D as being in error.

If I look back at a thread from Ebben for a yang doctor review of an
earlier version of this I-D, the text I see proposed is

"
>    A simplified graphical representation of the data model is used in
>    this document.  The meaning of the symbols in these diagrams is
>    defined in [I-D.ietf-netmod-yang-tree-diagrams].
"
which I think is rather different.

Tom Petch
(not a YANG doctor)

> > Sec 2.1: Again here I'm confused about the use of normative
language. Why do
> > you need to specify normative requirements for what this very
document is
> > specifying? Or are these supposed to be requirements on
implementations?

> OK, how about this:
>
> "...a RIB data model needs to specify a way for an external entity to
learn about the functional capabilities of a network device." And

> " The RIB data model needs a way to expose the nexthop chaining
capability supported by a given network device."