When you say "big picture mode", I understand what i3 calls fullscreen mode
<https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_toggling_fullscreen_mode_for_a_window>
.
Does it work for you simply to switch to full screen after game launch?

I think I remember seeing some hooks that permit you to match certain
actions to certain events.  I can't find the documentation now, but maybe
someone else can fill in.  So I think you can express "when this type of
window maps, I'd like this action (toggle fullscreen) to happen".  (Or
maybe I'm thinking of workspace assignment
<https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_automatically_putting_clients_on_specific_workspaces>
and I'm wrong.)

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255    <-- only if I'm in the UK

http://jeff.purple.com/
http://blog.purple.com/jeff/