At 03:31 PM 2/28/2010, Paul Roisen wrote:
Weather was incredible though. Also, NORTH still has LARGE amounts of snow compared to Des Moines.

Yes, north has a lot of snow. More even than last year. Last weekend I gave up searching for Long-eared Owls when I found myself out of breath, floundering in waist-deep snow, again. Defeated by snow and what I think must be a low point in their population. So, no owls this year to turn over to Aaron Brees. Snowshoes seem like such a desperate strategy, but maybe it is time.

This weekend I thought I would stay in the car, and look for signs there will be a waterfowl migration sometime soon. Late February at Clear Lake often gives a preview. Not this year. The two holes are the smallest I have ever seen them at this time of year, and between them there was one duck.

Hey, tomorrow is the first day of the spring season. I'm so ready.

Paul Hertzel
Mason City





---
Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members 
make it!
---
Birding channel recommendation for FRS/GMRS radio use:
Primary selection; channel 5/0 , alternate selection; channel 6/0
---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union.  Membership 
available on-line at http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/membership.asp.
-----
You are currently subscribed to ia-bird as: [email protected]

Reply via email to