My wife and I just returned from 8 days in Costa Rica.  This was intended as a 
vacation for both of us; not directly a "birding" trip.  HOWEVER, I figured 
this was an opportunity that couldn't be passed up, and while I didn't have an 
official guide the vast majority of the time, was able to manage about 100 new 
life birds (still tallying everything).  I'm sure many of you would have done 
much better in terms of numbers, but it was awesome nonetheless.  I had no idea 
the amazing beauty of so many different tanagers, trogons, and 
honeycreepers that live there, as well as hummingbirds at close range of many 
varieties.  The highlight for a first-timer to Costa Rica was of course the 
Resplendent Quetzal male.  We saw at least 2 different nesting pairs, one with 
the nest about 20 feet from the road.  Truly a surreal experience to watch 
those incredible coverts dangling more than 2 feet behind in a bright emerald 
green as he came flying through the
 trees to the nest.  Also got a great look (lucky I think for the amount of 
time we were there) at a Spectacled Owl which was a lot of fun to see.
Costa Rica was a great place to see some incredible birds, experience great 
weather, and seems to be relatively safe for travellers.  We will return and I 
have no trouble recommending a trip there.  I think going with someone who has 
been there or having a guide would greatly enhance chances of seeing a larger # 
of species.  However, I saw many groups that were quite large and that didn't 
look very fun to me.  I was fortunate to run into a guide who was with a small 
group from Tennessee, and he was extremely friendly and helpful, and in fact 
encouraged me to tag along on a couple short trips with him.  He also gave me a 
tip on a nearby area that I birded one afternoon with great results (where we 
saw the owl).  No one else I talked to the rest of the week had seen any owls 
during their trip, so I felt lucky.  There are many guides available at 
reasonable rates.   Seasoned birders I think would do well, but this guy was 
incredible with calls, and
 got his Swarovski scope on birds in the tree tops quicker than I could get to 
it.  I've got a ridiculous # of pics, only a few of which I consider pretty 
good.  If anyone's interested in seeing my marginally good pics of the Quetzal 
let me know off list.
 
Art Check
Nevada




---
Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members 
make it!
---
Birding channel recommendation for FRS/GMRS radio use:
Primary selection; channel 5/0 , alternate selection; channel 6/0
---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union.  Membership 
available on-line at http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/membership.asp.
-----
You are currently subscribed to ia-bird as: [email protected]

Reply via email to