I splurged a little this weekend by making the trip to Ledges State Park
for a solo camping trip. I spent as much time as possible hiking and
birding; I observed a total of 49 species. In my opinion, the most
remarkable of the bunch were the Hermit Thrush (my personal FOY), the
Winter Wren, and the Carolina Wren (a lifer for me, and I suppose that
might serve as a testament to my relative inexperience as a birder).
Yellow-Rumped Warblers were out in high numbers and it seemed that
everywhere I went, I heard the scolding chatter of a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet.
I counted at least five Golden-Crowned Kinglets. I heard and saw several
chipping sparrows. Walking along the prairie during the daylight hours, I
heard Field Sparrows and numerous Eastern Meadowlarks; hiking the same
path at dusk, I heard the peenting and unmistakable 'wing whir' of the
American Woodcock. It was a great weekend for Woodpeckers; I observed a
number of Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers, a Red-Headed Woodpecker, and the
grandest of them all, the Pileated. I can now say that I was able to
observe all seven Woodpecker species that occur in Iowa with regularity in
a single excursion!
After returning to Carroll, I briefly birded Swan Lake (Located in Swan
Lake State Park, just 3 miles south of Carroll). I noticed a sizable
gathering of RW Blackbirds and Common Grackles near a small stream that
runs into the lake. Perched in a tree high above the raucous congregation
was a Great-Tailed Grackle. I looked for others of his kind, but could
find no more.

Happy Birding To All!!

Rachel Simmons
Carroll

---
Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members 
make it!
---
Birding channel recommendation for FRS/GMRS radio use:
Primary selection; channel 5/0 , alternate selection; channel 6/0
---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union.  Membership 
available on-line at http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/PayDues.aspx.
-----
You are currently subscribed to ia-bird as: [email protected]

Reply via email to