On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 02:01:18PM +0000, Gary C Martin wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2009, at 13:36, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> >> I don't see things so black and white. I have been working on this
> >> same problem for a while now (view source key, extensions, etc) and
> >> our users are taking advantage of at least the extensions facility. We
> >> are going to see patches very soon for keybindings, device icons and
> >> control panel sections. And that code can be already deployed without
> >> waiting for upstreaming because of the extensions mechanism.
> >>
> >> So _today_ we have empowered users that are deploying shell extensions
> >> without disrupting the rest of the shell, and simultaneously are
> >> working with the community and sharing the fruit of their work.
> >>
> >> The technical part has been in place since a year ago, but the trigger
> >> for this to happen has been actually social interaction. There's no
> >> point in making our platform super-hackable if we don't work as well
> >> in the non-technical part of the problem.
> >
> > Just to be clear, the technical part of Zero Sugar is
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Services
> > its not something huge, just a set of declared rules how to work with
> > external(to activity or SP) dependencies. Code is ready for first
> > release usage and I'm going to spend this week(and looks like next) to
> > prepare proper docs/tutorials/infrastructure and remove blobs from all
> > ASLO activities.
>
> Woooaaahhh... Removing binary blobs from all ASLO activities!?
>
> Now I'm no fan of having to include a binary blob (I avoid it if I have any
> choice), but Sugar is not targeted at an environment of always on internet
> cloud computing. An activity must be a self contained, sharable bundle for
> 99% of our users, needing no downloads of eternal resources at first
> run/install. I'm most happy to see some smooth fallback mechanism for the 1%
> running some hokey-pokey hardware/software platform, but resources (binary or
> otherwise) for our majority use cases should live inside activity bundles.

Well, our major repository is still ASLO

And there is also proposal to support offline mode
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Zero_Install_integration#Support_offline_mode

Having these improvements in shell

* we don't lose "one download from ASLO, geting self contained budnle"
  just have freedom to disable offline mode when user have internet
  (and getting all benefits like online updates)

* moreover having 0install featires we can minify disavantages of pure
  net access - someone downloaded 100M OOo4kid package can share
  these bytes for other local users(w/o any servers)

So, I don't see disavantages

--
Aleksey