SQLMaps can be used to access the database from within a DAO class.
The DAO Framework manages your DAO classes regardless of the mechanism
used to access the database.

JPetstore does use the DAO Framework. You will notice the
BaseSqlMapDao extends SqlMapDaoTemplate and a dao.xml is located in
the com.ibatis.jpetstore.persistence package.

In short:
IBatis DAO Framework simplifies the usage of the DAO pattern.
IBatis SqlMaps simplify the use of jdbc.

Brandon