On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Josip Rodin wrote:
> [...]

The firmware will power down the internal WWAN module if that thing is set
to 0... so it will obviously not show up on the USB bus.

I am likely going to underprecate it for 2.6.32, but whatever.  I will cross
that bridge when I get there.

Works as it should.  Good.

> > > Oddly enough, it works fine after a reboot - the wwan_enable is still set
> > > to 1.

thinkpad-acpi tries to retain state across suspend, reboots and shutdowns :P

This is likely going to go weird on you in 2.6.31, though.  Many rfkill core
changes in that area.

> > > So it looks like the remaining problem is that something somewhere seems
> > > to have set that option in a way that disabled the hardware, but nothing
> > > tells the user that there is a problem. Can this be fixed?
> >
> > I really have no idea, it doesn't sound like a USB problem, but a
> > platform issue :(

Well, if you guys would like that, I can certainly log to syslog the initial
state of the rfkill switches.  Which priority do you want? INFO? NOTICE?

But please _do_ open a bug about it on bugzilla.kernel.org, just in case I
have to send the fix after -rc1.

> I'm moving this from linux-usb to the thinkpad-acpi maintainers, guessing
> that you may know more.

It is related to thinkpad-acpi, yes.

> In the meantime I've rebooted as well as hibernated the laptop a few more
> times, and I can't seem to establish a clear pattern by which wwan_enable
> gets set or unset, because it unset itself at least twice since, without
> me using the physical switch.

It will be unset if something messes with the rfkill state, or if the
firmware does something weird, which it just might if you press fn+f5 while
the OS didn't come up yet :p

And there is always the possibility of a thinkpad-acpi bug.

> Help?

Sure thing.  Load thinkpad-acpi with the debug=0x0004 parameter, and it
should be really annoying and tell you when anything changes rfkill state.
Maybe compile the kernel with CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_DEBUG set for extra
logging.

Then keep an eye on the logs, you want to check both the ones since boot for
the session where you notice WWAN is disabled, as well as the ones since the
boot _previous_ to that one, because something might have caused
thinkpad-acpi to tell the firmware to store in NVRAM that WWAN should be
disabled on the next power up...

  Henrique Holschuh