On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:35:05AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > But please _do_ open a bug about it on bugzilla.kernel.org, just in case I
> > have to send the fix after -rc1.
>
> Yet another bugzilla to register to, sigh...

It's #13600.

> > > In the meantime I've rebooted as well as hibernated the laptop a few more
> > > times, and I can't seem to establish a clear pattern by which wwan_enable
> > > gets set or unset, because it unset itself at least twice since, without
> > > me using the physical switch.
> >
> > It will be unset if something messes with the rfkill state, or if the
> > firmware does something weird, which it just might if you press fn+f5 while
> > the OS didn't come up yet :p
> >
> > And there is always the possibility of a thinkpad-acpi bug.
>
> Hmm. I should mention that I dual boot with Windows sometimes, and in fact
> it's currently completely broken in there - Fn+F5 doesn't even show it (it
> shows the other two functions) and my Vodafone program can't turn it on.
> I tried leaving it on in Linux and then booting into Windows, to no avail.
>
> > > Help?
> >
> > Sure thing.  Load thinkpad-acpi with the debug=0x0004 parameter, and it
> > should be really annoying and tell you when anything changes rfkill state.
> > Maybe compile the kernel with CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_DEBUG set for extra
> > logging.
> >
> > Then keep an eye on the logs, you want to check both the ones since boot for
> > the session where you notice WWAN is disabled, as well as the ones since the
> > boot _previous_ to that one, because something might have caused
> > thinkpad-acpi to tell the firmware to store in NVRAM that WWAN should be
> > disabled on the next power up...
>
> Gotcha.

Right now I'm thinking that this is either completely screwed up by the BIOS
or there's a bug in the driver. Even though the BIOS says the WWAN is
Enabled and the antenna is On, I *always* have it turned off after any kind
of boot, both under Linux and Windows.

Before hibernation I got it in this state (everything working):

Jun 22 13:34:08 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: bluetooth_update_rfk: forced
rfkill state to 1
Jun 22 13:34:08 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: wan_update_rfk: forced rfkill
state to 1

Then I had the laptop hibernate, and after restore I had:

Jun 22 13:36:12 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: bluetooth_update_rfk: forced
rfkill state to 0
Jun 22 13:36:12 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: wan_update_rfk: forced rfkill
state to 0

Then a clean turning of the physical switch *off*:

Jun 22 13:37:22 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: bluetooth_update_rfk: forced
rfkill state to 2
Jun 22 13:37:22 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: wan_update_rfk: forced rfkill
state to 2

After that I turned the physical switch *on*:

Jun 22 13:37:29 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: bluetooth_update_rfk: forced
rfkill state to 0
Jun 22 13:37:29 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: wan_update_rfk: forced rfkill
state to 0

Sigh, it restored the old state, rather than actually enabling anything.
After running echo 1 > .../wwan_enable I get that:

Jun 22 13:37:37 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: wan_set_radiosw: will enable
WWAN
Jun 22 13:37:37 myhostname kernel: thinkpad_acpi: wan_update_rfk: forced rfkill
state to 1

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.