In the deep, dark past, you could recover from a "no consoles" condition
by using the "External Interrupt" key on the CPU. It appears that you
can still do this. But you must

(1) logon to the HMC as SYSPROG or better
(2) In the Views area, double click on "CPC Recovery"
(3) Double click on "Single Object Operations" on the right hand side of
the screen
(4) You are now in the SE
(5) In the Views area, double click on "Task List"
(6) In the "Task list" displayed on the bottom part of the screen,
double click on "CP Toolbox"
(7) In the Views area, double click on "Groups"
(8) In the Groups (bottom part of screen), click on "Images"
(9) In the Images (now on bottom of screen), select the LPAR you need
(10) back on the right side in the "CP Toolbox", double click on
"Interrupt".
(11) z/OS should now try to find a working console to become the Master
console
(12) Back out of "Single Object Operations" mode. Click on the funny box
with a slash through it to do this.
(13) log the HMC back into OPERATOR
(14) on the new master console, vary all the other consoles

---

Have you tried doing a "LOGON myuser" on the HMC "Operating System
Messages" screen? I do it all the time. But I am set up in RACF to be
able to do it. I don't remember what all I need in RACF to do this (if,
indeed, I need anything in particular). If interested, I'll go try to
find out later.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.