IMHO - An 8 Char TSO ID is doable.  However, the following points need to be
evaluated:
1)  Using an 8 char TSO ID will prevent the tso user from submitting a job
with a dynamically incrementing job card
         //TSOID  JOB ...
              Will submit as
         //TSOIDA  JOB ....  the first time
         //TSOIDB  JOB ....  the second time and so on
    Therefore, you would need to verify that you do not have any TSO Users
that do that.  This process allows a TSO User to submit multiple jobs with
different job names.  Otherwise, they would all have the same name.  That is
sometimes confusing for the TSO User.
2)  You may need to review exits like IKJEFT10 to ensure it is compatible.
Or to modify it for the 8 char TSO ID.
3)  You will need to review other products or reporting processes to ensure
they do not expect 7 char or less TSO IDs.
4)  If you also setup alternate TSO IDs, ensure they follow your standards
    At one shop I worked at TSOIDX was a primary TSO Id for the user,
whereas TSOID1 was an alternate.  That way we could provide multiple IDs
without the user getting too confused.  If you use 8 chars for TSO ID you
may need to change the way you create alternates.

Personally, I would stay with a 7 char or less TSO ID.  That way you can
avoid any gotcha code, processes, or products.

Lizette Koehler