We run DFHSM in two address spaces for this reason DFHSM and DFHSM#.   Take
a look at the HOSTMODE=AUX parameter and documentation.  I classify the
primary DFHSM in SYSSTC and the auxiliary DFHSM in STCLO to provide a
service level roughly equivalent to production batch.   We have not yet
cutover to z/OS R6 yet but IIUC the only big changes in this area were to
allow for MORE (nee ANY) multi-tasking in Secondary Space Management.  From
my student notebook "SETSYS MAXSSMTASKS allows you to set multi-tasking on
for two parts of SSm - the migration function and the cleanup function.
Note although there is multiple threaded migration from ML1 to ML2, there is
still only one task used for ML1-to-ML2 DASD data movement.".

Thanks, Sam