On 6/2/2005 12:54 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
In a recent note unmask]> said:

Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:12:36 -0700

If anything, maybe someone thought that the shell environment for z/OS
UNIX (back then called MVS Open Edition) would be a viable replacement.
In some ways it is.

A fantasy, based on this.

With z/OS 1.5, Rexx now has the "address TSO" environment, which starts
a captive TSO TMP address space (with no display).  There's no reason
one can't have such a captive TMP address space for each linemode shell
session.

Now, suppose support were added to run 3270 OMVS directly from a tn3270
connection, with no TSO involvement.  Then a given user could run
several 3270 OMVS sessions, since the TSO one-session-per-user limit
would not apply.

Then suppose some combination of "address TSO" and "address SYSCALL pt3270"
(the latter now used to support OEDIT and OBROWSE) allowed the user to
bring up a captive TMP address space (as above), but _with_ the 3270
display active.

The best of both worlds?

I'm sure Walt Farrell will say it can't be done; Jim Mulder would be
more sympathetic.

No; I think that could probably be done, if someone wanted to invest the time and money doing it. There are always some questions to answer, such as "which TSO session should a SEND command choose", but those could be worked around somehow.

The big question is time and money.

        Walt