Speaking of European vs. American security differences, I just saw this
piece below on MSN's online news.  Don't know if everyone can access it via  a
link, so I copied the whole article and removed all the HTML I could  find.
For
imbedded links go to the original, the link for which is:
_http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/FinancialPrivacy/P116528.asp?GT1=6582_

(http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/FinancialPrivacy/P116528.asp?GT1=6582)

My U.S. Social Security card, which I obtained in 1959, still says "FOR
SOCIAL SECURITY PURPOSES.  NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION".  I don't remember  being
notified by the S. S. Administration when that rule was ever  eliminated so
that I
could take proper steps to protect my identity and private  data.

Bill Fairchild

    The Basics  What Europe can teach us about identity  theft

An epidemic of identity theft is sweeping the U.S., but  it hasn't spread to
Europe. Here's what they're doing right.

By Liz Pulliam Weston

Determining the rate of identity theft in Europe is  difficult, and the
reason is telling: Data security experts say it's not seen as  enough of a
problem
to warrant a comprehensive survey.

The exception is  the United Kingdom, where fraud experts estimate 100,000
people, or about 0.17%  of the population, fell victim last year to account
hijacking, new-account fraud  or other types of identity theft.

Compare that to the U.S., where a  Federal Trade Commission survey found 10
million ID-theft victims a year -- or  3.39% of the population.

So what is so different in the Eurozone? Several  things:

Social Security numbers are for Social Security -- period. Most European
residents have national identity cards -- the exception being  the U.K., which
is
still struggling with the concept. Credit bureaus tend to  have unique
identifying numbers for the consumers in their databases. Social  Security
numbers
are used for retirement benefits, not as an all-purpose  identifier.

"It's much more difficult to steal your identity" in Europe,  said fraud
expert Jim Vaules, a vice president with U.S. database company  LexisNexis.
Vaules
said the key piece of information an identity thief needs is  a person's
national ID number, and that appears in a lot fewer places than  Social
Security
numbers do in the U.S.

Information is kept private. Western European countries have laws that keep
businesses from sharing  and selling private personal or financial information.

"A lot less of  their data is floating around," said Bob Sullivan, an MSNBC
technology reporter  and author of "Your Evil Twin:  Behind the Identity Theft
Epidemic" (2004,  John Wiley & Sons). "They are far more strict about data
sharing than we are  in the U.S."

The massive databases maintained by ChoicePoint and  LexisNexis simply
wouldn't be possible in Europe, Vaules said. Both companies  recently announced
that
their databases were breached and information on  hundreds of thousands of
people was stolen.

In Europe, "information is  only available to the person to whom it
pertains," he said. "The European Union  privacy directives restrict data
aggregation
of public records, even of stuff we  take for granted over here."

For example, companies aren't allowed to  create or sell databases of
people's former addresses and phone numbers. Such  databases here are often
used to
contact neighbors or relatives of people who  owe debts in an attempt to find
out where the debtors have gone.

Credit bureaus aren't wide open. In many European countries, credit bureaus
are maintained by groups of  banks that share information with each other --
but not with outsiders, said  Theodore Iacobuzio, vice president for European
banking and payments at  financial research firm TowerGroup.

Three countries -- France, Spain and  Denmark -- allow the bureaus to report
only negative information about  consumers, Iacobuzio said. That makes the
databases of limited use to lenders,  who must use other factors to gauge
credit
risk.

Contrast that with the  U.S., where just about any business can subscribe to
a credit bureau and use  credit scoring to instantly assess someone's risk of
default. The ease of  accessing all that information has enabled lenders to
make credit decisions in a  matter of seconds.

The process is often much slower in Europe -- which  also means it's not as
easy for the bad guys to open new accounts in someone  else's name.

"It's much more difficult to establish credit over there,"  Vaules said.

Credit isn't king. Interestingly enough, Europeans  are far more likely to
use debit cards or deferred debit cards (where charges  are deducted from
checking accounts once a month, instead of daily) than credit  cards. And they
get
those debit cards from their banks, which generally know  enough about them to
verify their identities.

"A credit card is a  relatively exotic instrument in Western Europe,"
Iacobuzio said. "Only 27% of  all plastic in issue in Europe is credit cards,
and 73%
is debit  cards."

Debit cards also limit the amount of damage a thief can do -- and  therefore
the profitability of identity theft. Your bank account might be  drained
temporarily, but the potential losses are usually far lower than when a  thief
takes over a credit card or establishes a new account in your  name.

Credit card marketers do send out some direct-mail solicitations,  Iacobuzio
said, but the volume is far less than the deluge that stuffs -- and is  often
stolen from -- Americans' mailboxes.

Smart cards fight fraud. In the U.S., it's relatively easy to counterfeit a
credit card: Thieves run  your plastic through a handheld device called a
"skimmer," which picks up all  the essential information from the card's
magnetic
strip. A new card can be  created with specially designed machines that imbed
the skimmed information onto  its strip.

In France, Britain and other countries, issuers have replaced  magnetic
strips with tiny computer chips that are much more difficult to  reproduce.
Instead
of signing for purchases, consumers punch their personal  identification
numbers into the merchant's terminal.

This "chip and PIN"  technology is credited with reducing payment fraud by
half in France, where it  was introduced in 1992.

Europe, like the U.S., is still struggling with  "card not present" fraud --
transactions made over the phone or on the Internet,  where a merchant can't
verify the purchaser actually has the card in his or her  possession. But it's
businesses, rather than individuals, that tend to take the  beating for that
kind of fraud.

Take a hint from  the Europeans
Containing the costs and prevalence of identity theft  needs to be more of a
national priority in the U.S. We don't need to slavishly  copy the Europeans,
but we could adopt a few of their better ideas. Such  as:

Don't use Social Security numbers as a universal identifier. Old-timers will
tell you that Social Security cards used to be stamped with  a warning that
the document was not to be used for identification purposes.  Let's return to
those good old days. (For steps you can take to protect  yourself, read
"Safeguard your Social Security number.")

Make it a  little tougher to open credit accounts. Lenders would like us to
think the  U.S. economy would collapse if we were no longer able to access
credit  instantly. Somehow, I think we'd be able to struggle along if lenders
took
an  extra minute to verify someone's identity before issuing a credit card or
 approving a loan.

Put people in charge of their own data. Right  now, consumers can "opt out"
of some information sharing -- if they can decipher  the notices sent to them
by their financial institutions. Switching to an "opt  in" system, where
businesses need your permission to share, would put control of  your personal
financial information back where it belongs: with you. The fewer  databases
that
have your information, the fewer opportunities thieves may have  to break in
and
steal it. (For more ideas, read "10 ways to stop identify theft  cold.")

Liz Pulliam Weston's column appears every Monday and Thursday,  exclusively
on MSN Money. She also answers reader questions in the Your Money  message
board.