Caveat:  I get the digest but am also behind on my reading so this
might already have been hashed over or be too late...
----------
At June 6, 2005 11:38, concerning "COBOL short variable length
files????", Andy Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote (to IBM-
Main):

> [snip] COBOL programs to tolerate short Variable Length files. I mean
> the case where the FILE SECTION is
>   RECORD VARYING FROM nnn TO mmm
> And your JCL is
>   //DDNAME DD LRECL=qqq,RECFM=VB, . . .
> [snip] we get
> IGZ0201W  A file attribute mismatch was detected. [snip]
> We would really like it to tolerate the case where qqq > mmm+4 [snip]

I think you should drop the "FROM nnn TO mmm" then add "DEPENDING ON
data-name-1".  From the Cobol for MVS & VM Language Reference (2nd
ed, 1995 - SC26-4769-01), "If integer-6 (nnn) is not specified, the
minimum number ... least number ... for a record in that file." and
"If integer-7 (mmm) is not specified, the maximum ... greatest ...
for a record in that file." plus "If data-name-1 is specified: after
successful execution of a READ ... data-name-1 indicate the number
... just read.  The number ... placed into ... data-name-1 before any
... WRITE is executed..."  (I paraphrased big-time to reduce the size
of the e-mail but you get the gist.)

Perhaps this'll swing you in the right direction with your Cobol
utility program conversion.

ps.  You probably already know 'bout the additional, "When running
under MVS, BLOCK CONTAINS 0 ... size is determined at object time
from the DD ..."  ('RECORD CONTAINS 0' is only for *fixed* length
QSAM input.)
---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer 2004