In SMS you can specify single volume or multivolume for a Data Set.  It is
most likely that either the Data Class has the Multivolume Flag turned on.
Linklst can only accept datasets that do not have that flag turned on when
the file is SMS managed.

I think the entry is on panel 1 of the Data Class Definition function of
ISMF.  I believe it to be VOLUME COUNT.  If it is greater than 1 then it is
considered a multivolume dataset even if it does not span more than one
volume.

Ran into that a lot at my last shop.  The Storage group had a lot of tuning
to do for me because they had my uni-volume data sets being SMS defined as
multi-volume even though they were not multi-volume data sets and could not
be multi-volume.

Lizette Koehler