I remnember Texas Tech getting a speed "upgrade" to there 370/145 back in the 70's. It consisted of the CE removing three loops from the 145's microcode. The price tag for this upgrade? A cool $ 50K!

Michael Ross wrote:

At that price it would make more sense to do it yourself! How on earth do
IBM arrive at that figure? Or you could buy a used R16 etc. for less money -
try ebay!

Mike