----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Klein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:53 AM
<snip>
IGYPS0157-E A shift-out was found in column 50 without a matching shift-in in a nonnumeric or national literal. The literal was processed as written.

IGYPS0158-E A nonnumeric or national literal containing double-byte characters was found which exceeded the maximum literal length or reached end of area >"B" before terminating. A literal delimiter was placed at column 72 of line nnnn
<snip>
NOTE WELL:
 COBOL compiler messages (IGY) are *not* documented; they are
"self-documenting". If your application programmers can't figure out these
specific messages, I would suggest additional training for them.  If they
don't know WHY they are getting the messages now (but not before), then I
suggest you provide them references to the COBOL Migration Guide which does
talk about such changes (NODBCS to DBCS).

FYI,

This "self-documenting" stuff is NOT IBM STANDARD!! IBM's official stance on messages is that ALL messages should be documented, with the appropriate Programmer and Operator response fields documented. I had this same argument with COBOL level 2 when I called in this problem. My exact words were "HTF am I supposed to know that this error message was caused by you changing the default from NODBCS to DBCS?" I did submit an RCF for this issue. Maybe someday the idiots in COBOL doc will fix it.

Your premise that the users require additional training is patently absurd, as is the suggestion to provide a reference to the COBOL Migration Guide. HTF is anybody supposed to know that this error message was caused by something discussed in the COBOL Migration Guide? We had this same fight with ISPF messages ages ago, and now there's an ISPF messages manual because of it. COBOL should do the same.

There, I feel better now.

Regards,
Tom Conley