And apparently succeeded  ;~)   Thanks for the info.   Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Comstock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DBCS as the "default" (was: Fw: Another OS/390 to z/OS 1.4 mi
gration question (COBOL)

Pommier, Rex R. wrote:
> Knowing nothing about DBCS or Unicode I have a silly question - is
> Unicode a superset of DBCS?  If so, that would explain how you could
> need to specify 1 or the other, but 1 is required for the other one.
> Just an uneducated idea....
>
> Rex

Well I know a little about Unicode but hardly
anything about DBCS. I do know that IBM created
DBCS well before the Unicode standard came about.
I don't know if DBCS was ever an official standard
supported by some semi-independent standards
body or if it was just IBM.

I also do not know if the character mappings
are even close.

I do know that DBCS has this concept of shifting
in and out of DBCS mode and Unicode does not do
that at all.

So it doesn't look like they are particularly
related. It looks like IBM was trying to find
some way to add Unicode support and retain
DBCS support for customers who have been using
this for a long time.

As the joke goes, "They wanted to do this in
worst possible way ..."

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY & USE NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete
this message and any attachments.  In addition, you are strictly prohibited
from using, disseminating, distributing, copying, or storing this message and
any attachments.