On 22 Jun 2005 15:56:11 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>If my old addled brain is thinking correctly, I believe over 10 years ago
>IBM decided to no longer be nice to programs and require that all programs
>close any files they open.  And if they did not close them, the system would
>then issue a SC03 abend.

Probably true for Assembler.  The 85 COBOL standard requires COBOL to
clean up after itself and close all OPEN files on a STOP RUN.  By
implication GOBACK from a main program probably also does the same
thing but I don't have a compiler and system to test it.  Still it is
bad practice not to close all files.

Of course I am wondering what the need for an assembler routine is in
the case that prompted the original posting.