"Gilbert Saint-Flour" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Hello:
>
> I am looking for a simple way to rename a VSAM cluster along with its
> DATA & INDEX components.  Three ALTER commands in an IDCAMS step is the
> obvious method, but is there some batch utility program that can do it
> in a single command, i.e. without having to specify the old and new
> names of the associated objects?   Same question for the other
> components in a VSAM sphere, i.e. CLUSTERs, AIXs, PATHs.    What's the
> simplest way to rename the whole sphere just by specifying the name of
> the cluster?

There is no guarantee that renaming the cluster name means the component
names want to be renamed.  And what methodology would we use to rename
them?  Suppose the new cluster name is 44 chars long?  How many levels of
qualification would we use?

Users have the ability to name their components as they wish (within
certain limits), and arbritrarily changing those component names may
disrupt utilities or other installation-written programs that they use.
They may have a REASON for picking specific component names.  Thus, for
IDCAMS to arbritrarily rename the components when the cluster name is
renamed is extremely dangerous.

Thanks,
Mark Thomen
Catalog/IDCAMS/VSAM Development