I agree with what you say. What would really be nice (OEM product?)
would be the ability to have a "template" used for the rename.

ALTER MY.DSN.CLUSTER REPLACE(MY.DSN,MY.NEWDS)

Of course, you could still have the 44 character limit problem. I guess
it might be possible to check before doing any renames and about with a
__good__ error message which would state the name of the failing
component and the fact that the resulting name is greater than 44
characters.

As an example from the above:

MY.DSN.CLUSTER    -> MY.NEWDS.CLUSTER
MY.DSN.DATA       -> MY.NEWDS.DATA
MY.DSN.INDEX      -> MY.NEWDS.INDEX
MY.DSN.PATH1      -> MY.NEWDS.PATH1
MY.DSN.AIX1       -> MY.NEWDS.AIX1
MY.DSN.AIX1.DATA  -> MY.NEWDS.AIX1.DATA
MY.DSN.AIX1.INDEX -> MY.NEWDS.AIX1.INDEX

And, to be honest, I could probably write a REXX exec to do the above,
if I knew how to easily get the names of all the cluster elements. A
simple LISTC ENT won't do it. A LISTC ALL ENT will give the AIX cluster
names in the ASSOCIATIONS area, but then I need to do a LISTC ENT on
each of them to find their component names and associated PATH name. Not
really a problem, just a bother. Too bad there is not a LISTC SPHERE
ENT(...), or some such thing. Hum, I guess it's time for the old
IGGCSI00 routine.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.