A) As someone who uses a "threaded newsreader", I personally HATE "internal"
comments/replies and always use "top-posting" (unless I am responding to a
very small portion of an original note.  IN that case, I usually change the
subject line too.

B) I freely admit that I misunderstood the original comment about "mass
recompiles".  If the ONLY purpose of the mass recompile is to determine
which programs will have any problems with the new compiler - as far as
"syntax" goes, then I can't see much harm in it.  (Do you look at I-level
messages as well as W-and higher messages?).  This is an approach that I
will admit that I had never heard of before.  Personally, I can't remember
the last time that I heard of a change in syntax support that was NOT well
documented in the "Migration Guide".  However - especially for a site
upgrading over more than one level - this could be a "useful" project *IF*
you have the CPU power to do it and the manual resources to review the
output (listings).

C) I won't speak for upward compatibility of all IBM software, but in RECENT
releases of LE (as part of the z/OS operating system at least). I have *NOT*
(personally) heard of major (or even minor) problems that would have been
caught by individual and systems testing of existing object code - again
except in those cases where the Migration Guide indicated that there were
changes.  Certainly, I would expect "substantial" systems testing when a new
release of z/OS, IMS, CICS, or DB2 (among others) was being introduced into
production.  However, I would also expect management to allocate resources
to such upgrades that they would NOT for an individual compiler upgrade (But
YMMV)

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...