At 11:09 PM 9/21/2005, you wrote:

On Sep 21, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

What else can it tweak to get this to compile?  Is the
program just TOO
large?

Fire the programmer! (Maybe a bit too harsh?)

Hasn't anybody heard of MODULAR?

-teD

At the risk of getting things thrown at me... this program might
explain some of the reluctance to hire 30-year veterans of
programming from the neighboring thread.

There are a number of old-timers whose formal training consist of
"the Call verb is Evil!" and "Michael Jackson says goto is cool!".
I'm not saying all, or even a majority, of old-timers would write
such a thing, but no PFCSK with an ounce of training would write such
crap.  Your chances of avoiding monolithic garbage like this are
better the younger the programmer.

And I would say firing is not harsh enough.

Anyone that writes a 309k line module should be dipped in honey and
strung up over an ant hill next to the person at Micro$oft that
invented that damn paper-clip.
That's all well and good. But I remember working on large programs, that in addition to being too large called 'black boxes' used in a vaguely remembered conversion that had long ago been completed. Everybody agreed they were too large, spaghetti coded, inefficient, etc. At the same time every change was accompanied by the mantra that 'there was no time to fix it, that would be done at a later date. Just go ahead and add the enhancements and let the
program grow."

On the flip side, I've worked with younger programmers who when asked to rate a change effort as small, medium or large stated it was large since it would take a whole day. Small was an hour or two and medium anything in between. Comes from their drag n drop programmer
training.