Terri:

If you are not aware of the MODEL command in ISPF, I suggest you give it a try to at least answer your first question (the answer is a return code of 8, but check out MODEL anyway, if you are not familiar with it). To use it, while in the ISPF editor editing a REXX procedure, type MODEL on the command line and enter the line command A (After) or B (Before) atthe point where you would like to insert the specific command. In response to the prompt panel generated by MODEL, select D1 (Display). This will generate the ISPF DISPLAY command source for you, along with comments describing the fields and will also give you source code in REXX that would test the return code. That's where you'll find the answer to your first question, which, as I said is 8.

As for the other question, it would help to see the panel details and probably what you have in REXX already, to answer that one.

Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corporation (oh yes, we offer training in ISPF - outright blatant plug - :-) )

Terri Shaffer wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help. I am building an exec that displays a panel, from this panel a person can choose a system and a date and under the covers we will display the appropraite syslog for the 100 systems we maintain.

Were I am having trouble, since I do not work with ISPF Dialogs all that often is in the panel/rexx interfacing. So my question are?

1. How does the exec know when the person hits the PF3 (END) key as they are done viewing logs? The way this is designed is they can view multiple logs with 1 invokation of the exec.

2. In looking at the )INIT, )REINIT and )PROC statements I am also having trouble clearing out a field for the redisplay (like system name). I can blank the field out, but the panel still shows it filled in. Then the person actually has to enter it twice for the next display. Does anyone have a sample that would help or maybe I am doing this in the wrong place?

Any other ideas/help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Ms Terri Shaffer