I thought this was an interesting announcement this morning and one I am
looking forward to learning more about at SHARE in Denver!

After the disappointment I had with the z/OS Management Console I am
cautiously optimistic and very curious to see this.

IBM z/OS Management Facility V1.11 -- A new face for z/OS

z/OS page with links to announcement

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/

Announcement

http://tinyurl.com/pmzjgv

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an
&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS209-241&open&cm_mmc=5291-_-n
-_-vrm_newsletter-_-10577_125657&cmibm_em=dm:0:18221033#h2-tcx

The IBM z/OS Management Facility V1.11 (5655-S28) is a new product for
z/OS that provides support for a modern, Web-browser-based management
console for z/OS. The z/OS Management Facility is intended to enable
system programmers to more easily manage and administer a mainframe
system by simplifying day-to-day operations and administration of a z/OS
system. More than just a graphical user interface, the z/OS Management
Facility is intelligent, with designs toward addressing the needs of a
diversified skilled workforce and maximizing their productivity.
Automated tasks can help reduce the learning curve and improve
productivity. In addition, embedded active user assistance (such as
wizards) guides users through tasks and helps provide simplified
operations.

The initial release of the z/OS Management Facility provides the
foundation for platform simplification. Existing user interfaces such as
ISPF, operator commands, and others will continue to be supported and
coexist with the z/OS Management Facility.

A large portion of the z/OS Management Facility application is written
in Java(tm), and therefore, is eligible for the System z Application
Assist Processor (zAAP). In addition, portions of z/OS Management
Facility workload are planned to be eligible for the IBM System z
Integrated Information Processor (zIIP) as well. Some functions in z/OS
Management Facility use the Common Information Model (CIM) set of
industry standards to communicate with z/OS subsystems and starting with
z/OS V1.11, the z/OS CIM server processing is eligible to run on the
zIIP.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO

                System z Performance and Availability Management

                mailto:sknut...@geico.com

                (office)  301.986.3574

                (cell) 301.996.1318

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."

This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.