From: Eric Bielefeld <eric-ibmm...@wi.rr.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:14:13 PM
Subject: Re: 33 Years In IT/Security/Audit

I resisted the urge to reply to this when the thread started 4 hours ago, but
at the risk of being reprimanded, I'll reply.

I remember my first job working for a company with a 360/40 computer in 1969.
I was an operator for 2 years on 3rd shift.  Sometimes I got done at 5 or 6 in
the morning, so I would play with all the neat switches and stuff on the front
panel.  A couple of times, the machine wouldn't IPL, at least not the first
time.  Then, I'd putz with the switches, and try different things, and finally
get the machine IPL'd.  Back then, DOS IPL'd in just a few seconds.  I typed in
the date and time, and it was ready to go.

I remember the machine was quite touchy.  I turned it off any time between 9
and 12 noon on Saturday when I went home for the weekend.  I remember coming in
for some special processing on Sunday, and it wouldn't IPL.  When IBM came in,
they opened one or two of the panels, and then it IPL'd fine.  The CE said he
didn't do anything but open the gate.  I remember a 1403 control unit where the
CE pounded on it with a big hard rubber mallet, and then it started working
again.  Very interesting stuff back then.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. Systems Programmer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
414-475-7434