I may be misremembering, but when we talked to Oracle about what would and
would not be supported I seem to recall that there was no guaruntee that Oracle
would support even connecting the z/OS Oracle 10.2 client to more than "one
version up".  In other words, connecting to a version 11 server is supported,
but connecting to a version 12 server (whenever that is released) may or may
not be supported.  Does this sound correct?  If so, this means that any Oracle
server supporting z/OS clients could not be upgraded beyond version 11.  Not a
desirable situation, I think.

Personally I think a good compromise would be for Oracle to "stabilize" only
the server code, but to keep up with client code (including the batch and
online Access Manager components).  Unfortunately Oracle appears to have ruled
that out...

Frank

On 9/8/2009 at 3:49 PM, in message <4aa6d14e.7000...@oracle.com>, Bill Manry
<bill.ma...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2009 12:37:11 -0700, ds...@hotmail.com (Dave Salt) wrote:
>  >Hi Bill,
>  >
>  >Thanks for the info. I understand that OAM will continue to be supported,
>  >but not enhanced. If a new feature of the Oracle database requires an
> update
>  >to the OAM, it means applications running on z/OS would not be able to use
>  >the new Oracle feature. Is that correct? If so, it's hard to imagine
> that any
>  >company using z/OS would consider using Oracle as the database. Oracle
>  >obviously knows this, so in essence it seems they've given up on the z/OS
>  >platform. Would you agree with this? Out of curiosity, can you shed
> any light
>  >on why this decision was made; e.g. economical, political, technical, etc?
>
> Dave (and IBM-Main),
>
> The first point is true only for Oracle database features that involve
> client
> API and/or precompiler changes.  The majority of new database features do
> not involve such changes i.e. they are available via existing SQL and PL/SQL
> execution mechanisms.
>
> It's probably inappropriate for me (a developer) to suggest the reasons
> for realigning our database strategy on z/OS.  Barry would be the person to
> ask...drop him a note.  I definitely think "giving up on the platform"
> is not
> quite right.
>
> Regards,
> /b

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development