On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:50:05 +0200, Daniel Erdmann
<daniel.erdman...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>This means they force an abend within the COBOL program code if the
program
>detects some error. So instead of evaluating the RC within the JCL and
>executing the necessary steps for cleaning up they just rely on the
>abend-disposition for a rollback of GDGs etc..
>This seems to work fine. I'm working for some months only at this company,
>but everybody from the operating says that they're pretty happy with this
>kind of cleanup procedure.
>
>I'm relatively new to the mainframe system programming (coming from the
Unix
>world), but from my point of view this is 'untidy/dirty', and want to know
>if this practice is common to you.

I think this is not at all untidy nor dirty. I think it is very good. It is a
concise
way of specifying how you want your files to be disposed of in case of good
and bad termination of your program.

And don't forget that causing an abend has the added benefit of rolling back
any database work that was being done automagically.

>The conrete problem is that now we get some Java programs, means they're
>executed by the JVM which isn't so easy to force to abend. Of course we can
>do it by including some COBOL code or similar via JNI but at all I'm quite
>unsatisfied going this way because I think the correct way is to evaluate
>the RCs (which of course requires some additional work for our operating as
>they can't use anymore the easy to use abend-disposition for cleanup).

If ever you find a way of getting that abend, you created in JNI or elsewhere,
to percolate out of the JVM and into the JCL, then please, PLEASE!, tell us
how you did it. I never succeeded in getting an abend out of the JVM and
believe me, I tried...

Thanks,

Jantje.