My god yes.  VSE does this (allows symbolic JCL parms to be interrogated
programatically).
I was hesitant to bring it up, as people seem to think I just like to stir up
trouble, but...
:-)

On 9/17/2009 at 2:13 PM, in message
<b2b367b60909171313g30eef2e0y4dd61782fdcf5...@mail.gmail.com>, Kirk Wolf
<k...@dovetail.com> wrote:
> Not to drudge up old threads, but wouldn't it be nice if JCL PROC and SET
> variables were not thrown away by the converter/interpreter and instead
> placed in an ASASYMB-style symbol table by the initiator?  This would be
> useful in so many ways....
>
> Kirk Wolf
> Dovetailed Technologies
> http://dovetail.com
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Richard Peurifoy
> <r-peuri...@neo.tamu.edu>wrote:
>
>> Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>>> SMS may change the rules.
>>>

>> You can set a default space parm in the ALLOCxx parmlib member.
>> We don't have this coded, and it appears you can't change this
>> dynamically, so I can't test if it would avoid the JCL error,
>> but I would think it might.
>>
>> Richard

>> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
>> Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development