On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Scott Rowe <scott.r...@joann.com> wrote:
> [rant]
> This whole thread really irks me.  Simply the idea that a program might move
> a variable length string without first checking for limits is just appalling.
>  I would be pretty ashamed if I found I had done that in any of my personal
> programs, let alone any code I wrote when I was working for an ISV,
> authorized or not.  This is the very type of sloppy code that causes many of
> Microsoft's security exposures.  I thought that we, as a community, had
> better discipline than that.
>
> I know I would never assume that the parm string passed to one of my programs
> was no longer than 100 bytes, even if there is a JCL limitation, simply
> because I wouldn't assume that I was always being called from JCL.  Even if I
> checked to be sure I was being called from JCL I wouldn't skip the check, I
> would still write the one or two more instructions to do the check because I
> can't be sure that nothing will ever change.
> [/rant]
> We now return you to your previously scheduled programming.

I would hope that I would never do that, either. However, for code
that uses an interface that has been unchanged for 45 years with a
100-byte limit, I'm not sure I'd be quite that hard on someone whose
code copied the data into a 100-byte buffer using the supplied length.

To turn it on its head: I wouldn't play you-bet-your-system with this.
The code in most vendor products isn't as well vetted as your own
internal code, and is a lot harder to examine.

Guns have safeties for a reason; so should a change like this. Whether
it's a new interface (PARMX) or an LE setting that must be explicitly
enabled, there needs to be some informed consent. I can't imagine IBM
being willing to even consider it otherwise -- else a (poorly written)
program that's been happily running for decades could crater
production, and nobody wants that.