> The debate starts because of the following  disclaimer in the IBM manual
>(MVS SYSTEMS COMMANDS) we see the following disclaimer
>
>--------- SNIP -----
>Be careful when you use UPDATE. Updating an address space while a program
>in that address space is fetching a module can cause the fetch to fail or
>to locate an incorrect copy of the module. The system does not attempt to
>verify the validity of the data for UPDATE.
>----------------------
>
>1) Does it hurt anything keeping the multiple lnklsts other than when you
>make changes it gets confusing, is there a memory constraint, or
>performance problem?
>
>2) How many people out there issue on a production system the Update
>JOBNAME=* then delete the old LNKLST? have you had any problems?

my 0.02$:

1) Having multiple linklist sets around costs you *some* common storage
because the different versions must be handled. Other than that, I don't think
there is a noticeable performance impact.

2) The mentioned disclaimer will be thrown into your face should you ever
have a problem after using update jobname(*). We had a common storage
overlay two days after using that command, followed by an abend0c4, and the
complete IBM support structure refused to look into it any further after we
admitted of having used the command to free all old linklists. Had it not been
for Jim Mulder (whose job really is NOT looking at world trade problems!), that
error (which was supposedly fixed in 1.7) would still be in there.

My advise: Use dynamic linklist but do NOT use the update parm with only an
asterisk. NEVER under any circumstances free the IPL linklist. It will come
back
to haunt you.

Regards, Barbara Nitz