Thank you all for your contributions.

First, this was posted on IBM-MAIN erroneously. It was only meant to
appear on the ASSEMBLER List. But thank you for your feedback anyway,
it was of great help.

Second, the subsystems do some significant work, for example, fast communication between IMS regions and TSO APL sessions, and this is production work and it will not be "switched off", so service needs to be continued (in fact, we think about
using XCF to do this).

Third, the discussion on the ASSEMBLER list shows, in my opinion, that it is indeed possible to continue service and leave the "old" methods for a while,
while examining the new methods and switching on a step-by-step base.
And I like the challenge, and, being a free-lancer, I even need such challenges.

Kind regards

Bernd

Hal Merritt schrieb:
While some of us old dogs might relish the challenge and sharpen a pencil or two as we dust off the coding pads, Brian and David make some very good points.
Like them, I would argue that getting off of the system mods is a far better
way to do things. Some pragmatic research is almost certain to show:

that these are solutions to problems that no longer exist,
that there are now far better ways to solve any residual problems.

Consider also that it is highly unlikely that a straight conversion/upgrade is possible. There are bound to be gotchas and little annoying behavior issues that will induce bugs and cause some outages. Your pragmatic research should also include the cost of developing and maintaining this code over the years and the sizable cost of taking the code forward. Astute management (yes, there are a few out there) should appreciate seeing some options and their respective business cases. Do be prepared for some pushback from application types as they would (rightfully) argue that changing application code is also expensive. I don't envy your situation.